BRANDOLAND: Talking to God...For You!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Belligerent Ghouls, Rob Thomas, & Scotty's New Monologue

As promised - Scott McClellan's NEW monologue: Every comment re: Karl Rove from Wednesday's press conference. With one simple set-up question and NO pesky interruptions.

Don't worry 'bout the "other" questions: His answers were the same - everytime.

'Mericans love consistency.

Here goes: Good luck, thespians!

Q: Scott, some White House advisors expressed surprise that the President didn't -- did not give a warm endorsement to Karl Rove when he was asked about him at the Cabinet meeting. They had expected that he would speak up. Can you explain why the President didn't give a -- express confidence?

MR. McCLELLAN: Sure. He wasn't asked about his support or confidence for Karl. As I indicated yesterday, every person who works here at the White House, including Karl Rove, has the confidence of the President. This was not a question that came up in the Cabinet Room. He expressed it yesterday through me, and I just expressed it again. He was not asked that specific question, Terry. You know that very well. The questions he were asked -- he was asked about were relating to an ongoing investigation. I'll come to you in a second. I'll come to you in a second. Go ahead. No, David, I'm not at all. I told you and the President told you earlier today that we don't want to prejudge the outcome of an ongoing investigation. And I think we've been round and round on this for two days now. Again, we've been round and round on this for a couple of days now. I don't have anything to add to what I've said the previous two days. You heard from the President earlier today, and the President said he's not -- well, first of all, you're wrong. This is all relating to questions about an ongoing investigation, and I've been through this. I THINK WE'VE EXHAUSTED DISCUSSION ON THIS THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS. I look forward to talking about it once the investigation is complete, as the President does, as well. And you heard from the President earlier today. I appreciate your question. Again, I've nothing to add on this discussion, and if we have any other topics you want to discuss, I'll be glad to do that. Again, we've been through this for two days now, and I've already responded to those questions. The briefings are available online. Again, I responded to those questions the past couple of days. Go ahead. We can continue to go round and round on all these -- and let me just say again that anything relating to an ongoing investigation, I'm not going to get into discussing. I've said that the past couple of days. It doesn't change what I just said. I think I've made the President's views on Karl very clear and his support for all those who work at the White House, including Karl Rove. And again, these are all some of the similar questions that have been coming up over the last couple of days, and I don't have anything to add while this investigation is ongoing. But I think the President's views are very clear when it comes to Karl Rove and others who work here at the White House. These questions came up the last couple of days, and again -- again -- I want to help the investigation proceed and come to a successful conclusion. And the best way to do that, as I've said, not only the last couple of days, but going back nearly two years, is to not get into discussing the investigation from this podium, and those questions -- and those questions I've been through the last couple of days, this morning, and there's really nothing to add. And I appreciate it, but we've exhausted this discussion, I think. And we need to let that investigation proceed.

*

Here's the quote of the week - and it's only Wednesday. From Matchbox 20's Rob Thomas, responding to rumors that he was caught in bed with Tom "I'm With Katie" Cruise:
"If I were gay, Tom wouldn't be on the top of my list. It would be Brad Pitt. I'm more offended by the rumors saying I'm a Scientologist."
I'm proud to call Rob "friend."

His wife (Marisol) is a fox. BTW.

*
Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools --

And the Wall Street Journal's Editorial Page.

"Karl Rove, Whistleblower: He told the TRUTH about Joe Wilson.""

Spineless swine, cemented minds!
Democrats and most of the Beltway press corps are baying for Karl Rove's head over his role in exposing a case of CIA nepotism involving Joe Wilson and his wife, Valerie Plame. On the contrary, we'd say the White House political guru deserves a prize--perhaps the next iteration of the "Truth-Telling" award that The Nation magazine bestowed upon Mr. Wilson before the Senate Intelligence Committee exposed him as a fraud.
Sir leads the troops, jealous of youth.
For Mr. Rove is turning out to be the real "whistleblower" in this whole sorry pseudo-scandal. He's the one who WARNED Time's Matthew Cooper and other REPORTERS TO BE WARY of Mr. Wilson's credibility. He's the one who told the press the truth that Mr. Wilson had been recommended for the CIA consulting gig by his wife, not by Vice President Dick Cheney as Mr. Wilson was asserting on the airwaves. In short, Mr. Rove provided important background so Americans could understand that Mr. Wilson wasn't a whistleblower but was a partisan trying to discredit the Iraq War in an election campaign.

Thank you, Mr. Rove.
Same old suit since 1962.
Media chants aside, there's no evidence that Mr. Rove broke any laws in telling reporters that Ms. Plame may have played a role in her husband's selection for a 2002 mission to investigate reports that Iraq was seeking uranium ore in Niger. To be prosecuted under the 1982 Intelligence Identities Protection Act, Mr. Rove would had to have deliberately and maliciously exposed Ms. Plame knowing that she was an undercover agent and using information he'd obtained in an official capacity. But it appears Mr. Rove didn't even know Ms. Plame's name and had only heard about her work at Langley from other journalists.

*

The same can't be said for Mr. Wilson, who first "outed" himself as a CIA consultant in a melodramatic New York Times op-ed in July 2003. At the time he claimed to have thoroughly debunked the Iraq-Niger yellowcake uranium connection that President Bush had mentioned in his now famous "16 words" on the subject in that year's State of the Union address.
He does the military two-step down the nape of my neck.
But his day in the political sun was short-lived. The bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee report last July cited the note that Ms. Plame had sent recommending her husband for the Niger mission. "Interviews and documents provided to the Committee indicate that his wife, a CPD [Counterproliferation Division] employee, suggested his name for the trip," said the report.
I want to go home, I don't want to stay.
The same bipartisan report also pointed out that the forged documents Mr. Wilson claimed to have discredited hadn't even entered intelligence channels until eight months after his trip. And it said the CIA interpreted the information he provided in his debrief as mildly supportive of the suspicion that Iraq had been seeking uranium in Niger.
Give up education as a bad mistake.
In short, Joe Wilson hadn't told the truth about what he'd discovered in Africa, how he'd discovered it, what he'd told the CIA about it, or even why he was sent on the mission. The media and the Kerry campaign promptly abandoned him, though the former never did give as much prominence to his debunking as they did to his original accusations.
Mid-week on the playing field, Sir thwacks you in the knees.
But if anyone can remember another public figure so entirely and thoroughly discredited, LET US KNOW.
Knees you in the groin, elbow in the face, bruises bigger than dinner plates.
If there's any scandal at all here, it is that this entire episode has been allowed to waste so much government time and media attention, not to mention inspire a "special counsel" probe.

*

As for the press corps, rather than calling for Mr. Rove to be fired, they ought to be GRATEFUL TO HIM for telling the truth.
I want to go home, I don't want to stay.

La la la la la la lie-ee-yay, Oh la la la la la lie-ee-yay.

*

I'll have Scott McClellan's LATEST monologue as soon as it becomes available. Check out Tuesday's if ya haven't already.

*

"Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools...spineless bastards all!" - The Smiths

More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home