BRANDOLAND: Talking to God...For You!

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Moyers Vs. Tomlinson

(Too much coffee and a danish from Ralph's. I'm flying. Here's a quick post 'til I calm the frig down.)

Finally: Bill Moyers is speaking out against Ken Tomlinson, the CPB dude who wants to FOX-ify PBS and NPR.

Remember: Tomlinson hired a "contractor" to watch Moyers - to find the liberal bias on "NOW."

"And to prove that Bill Moyers is a commiepinkofaggot who eats children after he rapes them."

Hey, calm down, man.

(God. Republicans just love hiring "contractors," don't they?

"If you weren't such a lazy hippie, you'd start your own contracting firm. There's gold in them thar hills!")

Here's an excerpt from the speech that Bill gave over the weekend to the National Conference on Media Reform in St. Louis.
We just learned it from The New York Times two weeks ago that last year Mr. Tomlinson had spend ten thousand dollars to hire a contractor who would watch my show and report on political bias. That’s right. He spent ten thousand dollars of your money to hire a guy to watch “NOW” to find out who my guests were and what my stories were.

Ten thousand dollars. Gee, Ken, for two dollars and fifty cents a week, you could pick up a copy of TV Guide on the newsstand. A subscription is even cheaper, and I would have sent you a coupon that can save you up to sixty-two percent. Or, for that matter, Ken, all you had to do was watch the show.

You could have made it easier with a double JIM BEAM, your favorite.
WHOA! Bill!

Great line.
Or you could -- mine, too. We have some things in common. Or you could go online, where the listings are posted. Hell, Ken, you could have called me collect, and I would have told you who we were having on the show.

The PUBLIC paid for that study, but Ken Tomlinson acts as if he owns it. Let’s see it. You can watch my bias. You can watch my mistakes. You can watch everything I do right there on the air. We have the funders listed, everything is there, it’s all listed. But he won’t do it. In a May 10th op-ed piece in REVEREND MOON'S conservative Washington Times, Ken Tomlinson maintained he had not released the findings because public broadcasting is such a delicate institution he did not want to, (quote), “damage public broadcasting’s image with controversy.” Where I come from in Texas, we shovel that kind of stuff every day.
And how.

One more great excerpt. Here...Moyers "labels" the dudes on the far right who've been gunnig for his head:
Who are they? I mean the people obsessed with control...using the government to threaten and intimidate.

I mean the people who are hollowing out middle class security even as they enlist the sons and daughters of the working class to make sure Ahmad Chalabi winds up controlling Iraq’s oil.

I mean the people who turn faith-based initiatives into Karl Rove’s slush fund; who encourage the pious to look heavenward and pray so as not to see the long arm of privilege and power picking their pockets.

I mean the people who squelch free speech in an effort to obliterate dissent and consolidate their orthodoxy into the official view of reality from which any deviation becomes unpatriotic heresy.
Daddy issues all.

Don't you think?
That’s who I mean. And if that’s editorializing, so be it. A free press is one where it’s okay to state the conclusion you’re led to by the evidence.
"No. A free press is a press where you are free to conclude what I pay you to conclude."
One reason I’m in hot water is because my colleagues and I at “NOW” didn’t play by the conventional rules of Beltway journalism. Those rules divide the world into democrats and republicans, liberals and conservatives and allow journalists to pretend they have done their job if, instead of reporting the truth behind the news, they merely give each side an opportunity to spin the news.
Good stuff.

More later...if I can come down from my sugar high.

4 Comments:

  • We want more absolute truths. In my world:

    1. The Fred Segal in Santa Monica is way better than the one on Melrose.

    2. One of the best songs ever is DMBs The Space Between.

    3. Joey should have stayed with Pacey.

    4. Nothing tastes as good as red jello.

    5. Everything is different when it is raining.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

  • We want more absolute truths. In my world:

    1. The Fred Segal in Santa Monica is way better than the one on Melrose.

    2. One of the best songs ever is DMBs The Space Between.

    3. Joey should have stayed with Pacey.

    4. Nothing tastes as good as red jello.

    5. Everything is different when it is raining.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

  • We want more absolute truths. In my world:

    1. The Fred Segal in Santa Monica is way better than the one on Melrose.

    2. One of the best songs ever is DMBs The Space Between.

    3. Joey should have stayed with Pacey.

    4. Nothing tastes as good as red jello.

    5. Everything is different when it is raining.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • My Absolute Truths today…

    1) If your head don’t even bob at a Sloan concert, get the FUCK OUT of the concert hall!
    2) I must find my own Bait Shop, where tickets are always available and the band’s volume gets lower when you have something important to say to your friends
    3) An internet connection is not the key to a great jukebox
    4) Bushies lie, Bushies lie, Bushies lie…when they cry
    5) Irish bars are good in Ireland

    And yes, Joey should have stayed with Pacey.

    By Blogger Tangy Bee, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home