BRANDOLAND: Talking to God...For You!

Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Game Show Host, Part II

"Who wears the pants in this family, H.I.?"

Again --

Here's the game show moment from Bush's Social Security stop in Wisconsin:
"You got any thoughts about Social Security?" Bush asked 22-year-old Concordia University senior Christy Paavola, one of five younger workers who appeared on stage with him at the Milwaukee Museum of Art.

"Yes," Paavola replied. "I don't think it's going to be there when I retire, which is really scary."

"Got anything else you want to say?" Bush asked.

"I really like the idea of personal savings accounts," Paavola said.

"You did a heck of a job," Bush said. "You deserve an A."
Or a trip for two...to CABO SAN LUCAS!

Now --

Some game show moments from his stop in Virginia:

Bush brings Social Security debate to Northern Virginia

Ryan Seacrest got nothin' on my boy:
President George W. Bush was in Northern Virginia last Friday morning, playing off his press conference the previous evening in a discussion of Social Security reform with a mostly young panel at the James Lee Community Center in Falls Church.

The event, "Conversation with President Bush," was sponsored by the Northern Virginia Technology Council. Some 500 people attended, packing the auditorium.

Five of the six panelists were YOUNG PEOPLE, just beginning their careers.
Which..they hope will generate enough income to pay off their massive student loans and credit card balances.
The president joked with each of the PANELISTS, even as he drew out their views on key elements of his reform package, especially the role of private investment accounts.

Kristin Seitz, 23, an NVTC staffer, told the president, "Since this is my first job, I've noticed how much money is taken out of my check (for Social Security)."
BUSH PRODUCER: Kristin, this is your first job?

KRISTIN: Yeah.

BUSH PRODUCER: Kind of exciting, right?

KRISTIN: Uh, I guess. It beats working at Wal-Mart.

BUSH PRODUCER: (Ignore.) Have you received a pay-check yet?

KRISTIN: Um. Yeah. Of course.

BUSH PRODUCER: So...you've noticed how much money is taken out of it. I mean, you don't get ten bucks an hour times forty, right?

KRISTIN: Eight.

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Have you noticed how much money is taken out of it? Your weekly paycheck?

KRISTIN: Yeah. Of course.

BUSH PRODUCER: Great. So when the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA asks you if you've noticed how much money is taken out of your pay-check...say you've noticed.

BUSH PRODUCER 2 - And mention that it's your first job.

BUSH PRODUCER - Yes. Say, "Since this is my first job, I've noticed how much money is taken out of my check." Can you do that?

KRISTIN: Yes.

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Say it.

KRISTIN: "Since this is my first job, I've noticed how much money is taken out of my check."

BUSH PRODUCER: Great. Really great, Kristin.

KRISTIN: Thanks.

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Are you going to wear those jeans?

KRISTIN: Um...yeah, I guess.

BUSH PRODUCER 2 (calling): Can we get some women's dresses down here?! (Then) What size are you, Kristin?
Colleen and Justin Rummel, both employed at VERIZON, were also on the panel. A 2000 graduate of Ball State University, Colleen Rummel said she supports the idea of private Social Security accounts and that she and her husband participate in 401(k) plans.

Justin Rummel said he thinks not only about how Social Security will affect him and his wife but also the couple's 11-month-old son, Gavin. "I'm concerned about him when he retires," Rummel said.
BUSH PRODUCER: God, is he cute. What's his name?

JUSTIN: Gavin.

BUSH PRODUCER 2: What Book is that from?

JUSTIN: Book?

BUSH PRODUCER 2: You know, Joshua, Judges, Ruth --

JUSTIN: Uh --

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Nevermind. I bet you're real concerned about his safety, his future --

JUSTIN: Yeah, I'm his dad --

BUSH PRODUCER: Oh yeah, of course you are. And that's what dad's do. They worry about the future. Everyday. Their future. Their wife's future. Their kid's future --

JUSTIN: Well, I try not to worry too much. You know, worrying about stuff I can't predict or control is really stress --

BUSH PRODUCER: Well, you can control your finances. Can't you?

BUSH PRODUCER 2: I mean, you look like a smart guy. The kind of guy who has control over his finances --

JUSTIN: Well, yeah, I guess. Most of the --

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Great. And...you probably want more control. Right?

JUSTIN: Everyone does --

BUSH PRODUCER: You want Gavin to have control over his finances, too. Right?

JUSTIN: Well, he's just a baby. That's a long way off.

BUSH PRODUCER: (Ignore) And you want Gavin to grow up and and play ball or start a Fortune 500 company or something?

JUSTIN: Uh, yeah, sure --

BUSH PRODUCER 2: So you HAVE thought about his future...worried about his future.

JUSTIN: I --

BUSH PRODUCER: You've worried about what life will be like when he gets old and retires.

JUSTIN: I...I...well, you know, now that you mention it, I was thinking about, you know, what the environment will be like when he's older --

BUSH PRODUCER 2: What the financial environment will be like.

JUSTIN: I -- what?

BUSH PRODUCER: This is really, really great, Justin. You're a really, really great dad.

BUSH PRODUCER 2: For worrying about your son's future.

BUSH PRODUCER: 'Coz that's what dads do.

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Republican dads, least ways. (Ha ha.)

JUSTIN: I --

BUSH PRODUCER: So...when the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA asks you about YOUR BABY, say something like, "I'm concerned about him when he retires."

BUSH PRODUCER 2: Can you do that?

JUSTIN. Um, yeah. Sure.

BUSH PRODUCER: Excellent. (Pause.) Here's a Kenny chesney "one-sie" for Gavin.

*

Last thing:

Cheney reminisces

And it's really cute!
Vice President Dick Cheney, meanwhile, also has been taking a message to young people. Last week, he was at the commencement ceremony at Auburn University in Alabama.

Generally somewhat reserved and taciturn in public, an expansive Cheney urged the graduates to be receptive to unexpected shifts of fortune and to people who might point them in a new direction in their lives.

"I think, for example, of the first time I met my friend and colleague DON RUMSFELD. It was back in the 1960s, when he was a congressman and I was interviewing for a fellowship on Capitol Hill," Cheney said.

After a 15-minute interview that didn't go very well, Cheney found himself back out in the hallway.

"Don's impression of me was that I was kind of a detached, impractical, academic type, and I thought he was a brash young politician with a cocky attitude," Cheney said. "And we were both right."

The Wyoming University graduate also ruminated on his wayward days at Yale, the president's alma mater.

"I didn't finish there," Cheney said of New Haven. "Actually, instead, I dropped out after a few semesters. Actually, dropped out isn't quite accurate. Was asked to leave would be more like it. TWICE. And the second time around, they said, don't come back."
Finally. Some truth from the VP.

What a guy.

More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home